Sunday, February 21, 2010

If you get a load of snow do folk still clear there neighbours paths as well as ther own?

I mean if you have elderly folk next door or anyone that needs help. The age of chivalry and all that.If you get a load of snow do folk still clear there neighbours paths as well as ther own?
I would. Sometimes though when offering help to anybody these days they are very rpoud and often dont 'want' my help!! xx One can only try heh?





Every morning with out fail my 65 year old neighbour pours bleach water down her path an on to the road, she even cleans the road outside her house! Now you have made me think- maybe the next time i do mine, i will do hers too! Thank you for making me think! xx I would like to think when i am older the younger ones will look after me!! xxIf you get a load of snow do folk still clear there neighbours paths as well as ther own?
Well, where I live there isn't that much snow.


But I would if there was any point!





I help elderly people out whenever I can, I do one of my neighbours shopping for her because she is in a mobility scooter, and although she can use it, she doesn't like it and s scared of youths in the area.


Another elderly man that lives near me is too independent and won't accept any help from anyone, but at least I offer. Which is a lot more than most people in my age range do.


Sorry, I went completely off topic there! Good question though, its nice to hear your father thinks of others.
Last week we got snow. My husband shoveled our driveway, and then went next door and asked the neighbor if she'd like him to do her walk and driveway. She has MS. So yes, Chivalry is not dead.
Yes Mrs
I'm from New Hampshire. My uncle still plows half of the driveways in our neighborhood, which to me is even more chivalric, as it costs gasoline and loads more time.
Where I live (Nova Scotia, Canada), neighbours used to help one another shovel when I lived in the city. Especially we would help any elderly or disabled neighbours. when I was on maternity leave, I don't think I shovelled that whole winter - someone was always there to help.





My next-door neighbour and I shared a driveway and whoever was out first would shovel the whole thing.





Now that I live in a rural area, our neighbours are farther away, and so we always do our own driveway. The older folks who live nearby have someone down the road plow with his ATV.
We always helped our neighbors, wether they were elderly or not, and I can't believe that people have lost that virtue. I agree that there are those that have little regard, but they have a self hate nature. Did you ever see a well dressed person stop, roll up their sleeves and help someone, yes I have, but I also have seen someone put their cigarette out in their food plate in a restaurant, as if to say, '; I can't eat the rest of this,but I don't want anyone else, even their dog, to have it'; I have seen people on a welfare line taking food they won't eat, throw away, but will deny it to a needy person, that would have used it wisely, and perhaps did not receive it because they just run out.
hi when we lived in the town yes Hugs
Yes, absolutely. Or at least I should say my son does.
I don't even clear my own path, just wait until it melts. However, if I had an elderly neighbour (some may actually call me elderly) I would in case of falls etc.
UK reply.





It used to be that you always cleared the pavement outside your house, everyone did it.





Now with the compensation lawyers jumping on the ';where there's blame - there's a claim'; bandwagon the advice is don't clear your pavement because if someone falls over and breaks a leg you will end up in court!





Sad world we now live in!
My mum has neighbours who last time it snowed really deep, they came and cleared her paths for her and then they went off and did other elderly neighbours, I thought it was really kind of them, we are lucky to have really great neighbours where she lives.
Do they bollocks!
We ARE the elderly folk round here !!! All our neighbours are younger than us.
We live in a very rural part of Idaho. We take our tractors and clear our neighbors driveways. We pull anyone out who is stuck. We make sure our neighbors, abled bodied, elderly, or mom's with children are OK.





If the snow gets really bad, people with snowmobiles will check on people in person, or via phone, take orders, and run to town (8-20 miles away) and pick up needed items, like milk, diapers, formula, medication, food, ect.





This is a great area to live as everyone really watches out for everyone else to make sure they are safe.





I applaud your Dad. That is WONDERFUL that he is still physically able to do that. If he does not already have them, please concider buying him a set of ';yak tracks.'; They are chains that go on the bottom of your boots. Just like putting chains on car tires, they give you a lot more bite when walking on snow and ice, and you are less likely to fall. I love mine.





~Garnet


Homesteading/Farming over 20 years
I remember last year when we had snow, the driveway from Smythe Hall to the village road was covered, so I had my manservant Cuthbertson sweep it, okay so he was 92 at the time, but it is no excuse for laziness, it took him the better part of 5 hours to do it, it was only a half mile long. Well he complained, not so much for doing mine, but he objected to doing my chum 'Sniffy' Blenkinsops. Damned inconsiderate if you ask me, it wasn't as though he had to walk into the village, I told him he could have the use of Lady Agatha's bicycle. Well by the time he returned, it was well past 8 o'clock and I was waiting for my evening gin and tonic, in fact it was nigh on 30 minutes I had to wait. Things will have to change around here and no mistake, I wont tolerate idleness from the staff, any more of it and he goes. And before people start to criticise me, I have, at my own expense, telephoned the local Salvation Army for them to take him in, and guess what, no body wants him, so if there is anyone out there who wants a 93 year old layabout you can have him ( you will have to collect, I'm not paying his bus fare.)





p.s. He has no pension as I have blown it on a couple of blonde popsies down in Soho.
Sometimes the good you do does no good. If you remove snow from someone elses sidewalk, and someone slips and falls, you could be sued for not doing a complete enough job.
Yes help in any way we can .
Whats snow?.....





I thought that was just a fairy tale for kids.....





:)

No comments:

Post a Comment